Welcome to the Hot Tub Things Blog. Discover all the latest products and get tips on how to keep your hot tub in tip top condition with The Hot Tub Things blog!
You know the importance of a hot tub cover. You’ve read all about them right here on these pages. But do you know when it’s time to replace the spa cover you have?
The goal of your spa cover is to maintain a healthy environment in your hot tub. One that is free of dirt, leaves, bugs, and other things that might inadvertently venture into the water.
However, like most things, covers wear out. If the external fabric tears, the foam core can get wet, develop mold, and become saturated and heavy with water. Not only can it become unsightly but the cover no longer insulates properly.
If it’s time for you to replace your hot tub cover, consider these quick and simple suggestions:
- Get a cover that fits. Measure the top of you spa to the widest end of the acrylic top so that the skirt hangs straight, then round your measurements up to the nearest inch.
- Don’t forget the skirt. Measure the skirt and strap as well.
- Buy ASTM. Look for a cover approved by the American Society for Testing Materials (ATSM) and that meets the ASTM’s standards for locking safety.
- Look for safety features. Spa covers are not meant to sit on; however, they should hold the weight of a small child for a limited amount of time.
- Look for a cover that will last. Ensure you hot tub cover has a proper vapor barrier, is treated with mildew and UV inhibitors, and has gaskets that seal the two halves.
- Check the R-value. R-value describes a material’s resistance to the flow of heat. The higher the R-value, the slower heat will travel or conduct through a material.
Taking care of your hot tub and your hot tub cover are integral parts of hot tub maintenance. And so is Hot Tub Things. We offer the know-how and the products that can make your hot tubbing experience the best possible. Just let us know how we can help.